Highlights of Week 24/2010
- The end of the killer feature (by Scott Berkun) – Scott points out the downsides of upgrades and compatibility; version management across third-party development, huge field.
- The Experience belongs to the User (by Joshua Porter) – about the effects of over-architecting on the actual user.
- How Well Are You Pricing Your Designs? (by Joel Reyes) – usually I consider previous experiences and their workload in hours, plus/minus additional requirments and the client itself (more communication involved, more/less hand-holding required, etc.) and multiply it with a fixed price. That’s my total.
- Apologizing like a human, not a corporation (by 37signals) – we all make mistakes, let’s start recognizing them and learn to appologize right – great example!
- Defining the Designer of 2015 (by aiga.org) – aiga teamed up with Adobe to take a look into the future. Capture the attention span of a user, huh?
- Destroying Designer’s Creative Block and Unleashing Your Creativity (by Aidan Huang) – Watch my caffeine intake?? Are you kidding me????
- There’s no right answer (by Donna Spencer) – Donna mentions some factors for designing the ‘better’ solution, the successful design will take all these factors into consideration.
- UCD info graphic poster (by Pascal Raabe) – information graphic poster illustrating the underlying lifecycle, methods, principles and techniques in a user centred design process.
- Using Charts and Graphs for Content (by Chris McConnell) – comprehensive overview and discussion of charting and graphing content.
- Considering Prototypes (by Andrew Maier) – prototypes generate context and questions and move teams in the direction of meeting business demands.
- The Frankfurt Kitchen (by Harry Brignull) – about design perfection that becomes counter-productive.
- Design Better And Faster With Rapid Prototyping (by Lyndon Cerejo) – another great blog post about prototyping – don’t overdo it and be aware of scope creep – it’s a bloody prototype
- Two Beautiful New Mini Pixel Icon Sets (reported by Paul Andrew) – what more to say, go get them.
- UX Lx Wrap Up (by Theresa Neil) – good wrap-up (with links to material) of the 3 day UX Lx conference in Lisbon last month.
- Master user experience design (by Craig Grannell) – inside UX, well-researched and laid out article, good read.
Categories: This Week's Highlights 37signals, Aidan Huang, Andrew Maier, apologizing, attention span, charts, Chris McConnell, Craig Grannell, creativity, Donna Spencer, experience, feature, Frankfurt Kitchen, graphs, harry brignull, icon set, Joel Reyes, Joshua Porter, killer, lisbon, Lyndon Cerejo, Pascal Raabe, Paul Andrew, pricing, prototypes, scott berkun, Theresa Neil, ucd poster